Here in Florida, we have no doubt about our favorite fruit. But it’s not just oranges that we love—we love all types of citrus fruit! We also grow a variety of these fruits, including an assortment of different oranges, providing sweet, delicious, and nutritious treats for consumers around the country. If you’re interested in learning more about our variety of citrus fruit, then take a look at this brief overview:
- Hamlin Oranges. These sweet oranges contain very few seeds. Hamlin oranges became a huge part of Florida’s orange production in the 1980s. During this time, freezes destroyed many of the other types of oranges grown in Florida. Hamlin orange trees are excellent at tolerating the cold weather. Hamlin oranges are at their peak between October and December.
- Navel Oranges. Many consider these to be the most popular oranges and even the most popular citrus fruit. The Navel orange is unique because it features a bump in the skin. Under this bump is a second, much smaller orange. The navel makes it easy to peel and eat these tasty oranges with very few seeds. This variety of orange also includes Cara oranges and Red Navel Oranges.
- Ruby Red Grapefruit. These delicious citrus fruit appear to have a yellowish pink color on the outside, but have a stunningly beautiful red color inside. Ruby red grapefruit are extremely juicy. Ruby Red grapefruit juice has a refreshing sweet and tangy taste.
- Tangerines. These citrus fruit are smaller than oranges with a smooth and easy to peel skin. This tasty, sweet fruit has a deep orange appearance both inside and out. Naturally formed segments make tangerines easy to pull apart. The flavor is sweet without the tangy flavor found in other citrus fruit.
- Tangelos. This hybrid citrus fruit combines the best aspects of both tangerines and grapefruit. Honeybell tangelos grow in a bell-like shape and are extra juicy. Tangelos typically have a sweet, tangy flavor.
Here at Florida Citrus, we want to help you learn more about our amazing citrus industry. You can find more information by giving us a call today at (863) 578-4057.